The ocean is not only good for the soul, it’s good for our skin too!
Ever had a big dive into salt water and lets the water wash over you and feel instantly revitalised? Like all the stresses of the day get washed away with that one dive.
It actually really helps our skin aswell. Especially acne!
Salt water is a powerful acne medication that works by cleansing the cells and reducing the bacteria – while keep the skin pH levels intake. Salt water straight from the ocean is one of the best ways to take advantage of this because its natural and rich in minerals.
If diving into the ocean in winter is not your ideal way to reduce your acne there is a way it can be done at home.
- Mix 1 cup very warm water (not boiling) with 3 tablespoons of Himalayan salt. (Did you know Himalayan salt has over 84 minerals. No wonder its so amazing for your skin). Stir well.
- Using a soft cloth or face washer emerse the cloth in the solution and cover the effected areas for 3 to 4 mins. (can leave a little longer if your break outs are particularly bad, sore or painful.)
- Remove the cloth and rinse your face with the mixture (splash over your face)
- Rinse with plain water to ensure all the salt is off and gently pat dry.
- Do this in the morning and at night.
- Don’t “scrub” or “work” the salt in. It is not meant to exfoliate your skin but rather let the skin absorb the minerals from the salt.
I am not saying this is to cure acne as we know that to treat acne it requires a whole body approach and sometimes a team of people in your corner from doctors, naturopaths and skin therapists.
But this is just another tool in your belt to help fight acne and have bright clear skin. If you want to have a chat about what is best for you and your skin journey come and see one of our skin therapists and see how we can help you.